Monday, September 28, 2009

from Two Truths and a Lie

"From readysetgo
with the training bra on
my world was training me
training me to be.
It's funny what a piece of clothing
will train you to see."

"Didn't say a word
didn't move its lips
just stared into my eyes
(its eyes my eyes),
and she told me.
Right to the back of my soul
I heard him say,
'You know, maybe it's supposed to be this way.'"

"You ever see yourself in some misplaced mirror
or on the reflective foundation of a skyscraper?
You're walking along to the music in your head
and you trip
when you see your reflection.
You trip
on how different you look from what you thought,
maybe just since you stepped out the door
maybe
your whole life.
You trip
maybe you stumble."

"You've gotta know how to make an entrance--how
to be gracious and take it in stride--if you want to
survive."

"But sometimes, sometimes there's just no other way to go about it but to step into that spotlight and take a bow; because you know what they say, don't you? It's not so much coming out, as it is coming through."

"What if this isn't what I want?
What if this isn't what I need?
What if my family disowns me?
How will I ever get another date?
What if testosterone kills me?
What if I don't like my body after surgery?
What if nobody will love me anymore?
Am I the weirdest person in the world?
What if I won't love myself?
Am I crazy to think this could be normal?
What if I get cancer and die?
What if they botch a surgery?
What if I come through, and want to go back?
What if I die?
What if I die?
What if I die?
What will I find?
Where will I find myself
if I don't know myself anymore?
What if I die?
When will I know what I want?
When will I know who I am?
When?
When will I know?"

"I wish I could tell you everything, but no matter how many stories I tell I can't figure out how to end this story that never really ends for me. All I know is what I've learned so far: Be a man about it. Look people in the eye, shake hands firmly, say thank you, and know when to leave."

No comments:

Post a Comment