Wednesday, January 18, 2012

The Spirit of Radio

Sitting in Wood Street Station, waiting for the trolley to take me home from a brief yet productive workout, I was not-so-subtly reminded why my favorite song--out of the thousands upon thousands of songs I know and love--is my favorite song.

The thoughts that flowed through my head from each and every direction literally sent a charging rush of positive energy through every nerve in my body. It gave me chills and filled me with tears at the same time. It both excited and calmed me.

This song is an expression of the meaning of my existence, and I'm not talking about career goals or anything of that mundane sort. I'm talking about the type of thing Robin Williams mentions in Dead Poets' Society. It is something that is not necessary to sustain life, but, just like in the movie, it's what I stay alive for.

And it's how I can explain myself to others. It's how I tell my stories. And it comprises a great deal of my story itself.

My favorite line from this song is engraved on the back of my iPod. It is perhaps an answer to my other favorite quotation. And now I'm sure you'd like to know what it is, in case you aren't familiar with the song or my little green mp3 player:

"One likes to believe in the freedom of music..."

No comments:

Post a Comment