Thursday, January 14, 2016

Morning

I am sensing a shift in the way I function. It's probably been happening for a while now, but since it manifests in a peculiar way, it's taken me a while to admit that things might be better this way. I used to be very much a night person, always waiting until the world quieted down to begin working on the most important tasks of the day. And since it was much more acceptable to live that way in college, I thrived. But for a couple of years now, nights haven't been the same. The quiet is distracting at best and overwhelming at worst. I think I'm becoming a morning person. After weeks of terrible sleep, my body attempted to adjust by sleeping far too long yesterday, but that only meant that I was able to wake up shortly after six this morning, feeling pretty confident and optimistic. And that's been happening a lot. Even when I'm absolutely exhausted, forcing myself to get up at what most would consider a reasonable time allows me to be productive. But that's the trouble. I notice that I'm far more productive and that my spirits are generally higher when I can stick to being diurnal, but my energy levels don't match up with this pattern. I'll still find myself exhausted midway through the day, and attempting to go to bed before midnight usually results in my waking up at 2 or 3 in the morning, feeling like I'm bouncing off the walls. I suppose another complicating factor is that, while we both agree that we need to be better at adulating in general, we never seem to be in the same place at the same time. It's hard to stick to a routine when your partner's is the complete opposite because it can feel like you never get to spend time with one another.

Now for something completely unrelated...

I had a job interview yesterday that completely wiped me out. Two and a half hours and a total of nine people later, I'm still unsure how things went. I would like to think that an entire department would not have put so much effort into a candidate they weren't seriously considering. But having an actual full-time job with a respectable salary and being able to utilize my education and work experience would be a relief.

I'm distracted right now, so you're not getting much more out of me this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment